Old 10-25-05, 10:16 PM
Michel Gagnon
Year-round cyclist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
I have a friend and fellow bike commuter who works at bike shop and he told me about this light. He has two of them on his bike and said a friend followed him home in a car and said he was very visible and the lights were very bright.
I looked at them yesterday and they are bright but it seems to me that the viewing angle has to be just right to be considered "bright". If a motorist is off to the side just a little, the light doesn't seem as bright as most other LED lights.

What do you think? Should I replace my double Vistalite Nebula 5 setup that I've had since 2001?

... or have both? I have Vistalites as well as a BLT Super Doppler (same as your Serfas)., so I can compare.

I prefer the Vistalites in the urban environment because it's easier to see from an oblique position. But the strongest asset of the Serfas or the BTL Super Doppler is when you ride on high speed roads or arterials: people will see you from further away and they'll have the time to react accordingly. And in such conditions, having a light that emits a relatively tight beam of light is much better because it increases the reach of the taillight.