Old 07-01-19, 08:22 AM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by gauvins
If your tablet has mobile connectivity (i.e. a SIM) then it provides a useful backup if your phone fails or is stolen. Otherwise, it is a matter of personal preferences. Most people end up using exclusively their phone. To wit - large screen phones and stagnant tablet sales.
That's how I use mine. If I'm traveling in unfamiliar areas, I sign up for different data service than what my phone uses. A couple of times on my last trip, I was only able to check in with my wife because the tablet had a connection. I was also to stop and admire some scenery and take photos of that scenery and share those photos online from camp later in the day, in spite of 3speeds concerns that you can't have actually enjoyed the ride if you take time to share it later.
Also I will sometimes capture GPS tracks of my longer rides. Having the tablet means I can turn that feature on, tuck it in a bag, and let it record all day without worrying about running my phone battery down. The bigger battery of the tablet,combined with keeping it put away with the screen off, means the battery drain is not extensive.

Also, maps are easier to read, and when I'm thinking ahead, I'll download maps before I leave, so connectivity isn't an issue. This time it didn't really matter. Hard to get lost when you're on the same trail for 200 miles. Also sorting through photos is easier on the tablet. Although I will say that while it came in handy a few times on my latest trip, it did not get used as much as I thought it would. It was more useful as an entertainment device during the pre and post trip traveling than it was on the actual trail. I did carry a small camera, though, and I would load those photos on to the tablet at the end of the day. I could have put them on my phone just as well, but they're easier to look at on the tablet, and I didn't want to fill the phone's storage up. Only problem with that is that to preserve data, photos only synced in wifi, which I didn't encounter that often, so I would end up with some photos on my phone and some on the tablet, and they never merged until the trip was over.