Old 07-14-19, 11:36 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by jadocs
I made a post about this in the charity ride forum. The thing that keeps me away is their business plan where in addition to an entry fee you have to raise a minimum amount which can be anywhere from 200-500 on average. They can go pound sand.

No I’m not looking to ride for free and no it is not a case where I don’t want to fundraise. It’s the notion that you are giving them money and they are dictating how much they want. Their business plan needs to incorporate whatever their projected costs are going to be in the entry fee and allow people to fundraise within their means.
Originally Posted by Kedosto
I rarely do event rides anymore. The reasons...

Having to raise money. I’d rather just pay more up front than hit up friends and family for the umpteenth time….
Originally Posted by DropBarFan
I don't do mass rides, cost & schedule would be a problem but I like riding alone anyway.

I never really got the concept of charity rides/walks. If folks want to give, just give & save the expense of organization/logistics.
Certainly, one of the draws of an organized ride is that usually a nice route is detailed by the local organized. One who rides the route unregistered (and unpaid) on the day of the event is known as a bandit.

I had posted to this thread “Can I ride on a century event if I'm not registered,”? in particular about donation made for charity events:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Originally Posted by canklecat
Frankly, I don't participate in those paid events anymore because they're expensive, there are local charities such as food banks and homeless shelters that could put my meager cash to better use directly, and most such events are either promotions for the local economy or indulgences for cyclists who want a new jersey or memorabilia. All of which is fine.

Just not my thing anymore. I did enough of those years ago….
I previously posted to this thread, "Little rant: I hate charity events"
I’ve read that the reason such athletic events as Charity Rides, Swims and Runs are popular is because the value of the benefit received by the participant is near zero, and thus the entire donation is tax-deductible. For example if one attends a gala fundraising dinner, the cost of the dinner is not tax-deductible...

Here in Massachusetts the premier fund-raising Ride with an expected donation of around at least about $3500 is the Pan Massachusetts Challenge (Pan-Mass, PMC), about 150 miles in two days to benefit the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute. They do take your credit card number before the Ride. It may well be the largest such event in total donations.

When anyone finds out I'm a cyclist, they usually ask "Do you do the Pan-Mass?"
...Soon afterwards I caught up with a rider wearing a really cool Boston Red Sox cycling jersey, a souvenir of the 2002 Pan Mass Challenge.
So instead of merely soliciting donations, those organizations provide a tax-deductible experience for a “gallant” cause.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 07-15-19 at 04:22 PM.