Old 08-02-19, 10:09 AM
mje

Bikes: Trek Domane, Specialized Sequoia, Cannondale RT3000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker
A post in the recent bike path threads got me thinking. I did not realize how far some of those bike paths extend. And with Mt. Hood under my belt, mayabe it is time for another challenge? OK Mt Hood was a struggle for me but it was mainly the mind.

My thought was to fly into Denver and head for Glenwood Springs via Breckenridge. I would not be camping.

Before I go off and do detailed analysis I was hoping to get some answers to a few questions,

First and foremost, how bad are the climbs heading west? And what about the wind? Is it typically stronger in one direction over the other?

The route seems to really hug the interstate. Is it far enough away that I won't have trucks buzzing in my ear the whole route? What about traffic on the frontage roads.

Are there enough towns with hotels every 40 or 50 miles? I can do longer if I don't have much of a climb. I did quick check and it looks like there are plenty of places between Denver and Breckenridge but I did not get to the rest of the route yet.
Climbs rarely exceed 6%, but they go on for miles and miles. The summit elevations were mentioned above. West of Vail Pass the wind is consistently from the west in the afternoon. I don't know of it being that consistent elsewhere.

You are often close enough to hear the interstate traffic, but usually not right by it. There is good separation for much of it. You won't feel as if you are riding on the shoulder. (Until recently, you actually did have to ride on the shoulder in at least on spot.) Traffic is light on the frontage roads.

Between Breckenridge and Glenwood you'll find hotels in Copper Mountain, Vail, Avon, and Eagle. There's not much between Eagle and Glenwood.