View Single Post
Old 08-02-19, 02:56 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6214 Post(s)
Liked 4,212 Times in 2,361 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker
Here is the basic route.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Denv...76!3e1!5m1!1e3

Bike Jedi makes a good point. Looks like the route gets above 11K feet. Never been that high. I reached 5K on Mt Hood but the Rockies are over twice that.
Your route looks good enough. I would suggest a slight change and turn it around so that you start in Glenwood and ride towards Denver. You get about 2000 more feet of downhill that way. You can ride the Bustang from Denver to Glenwood. Bikes just go under the bus in the luggage compartment.

Notes on the route (Glenwood to Denver). Vail is steep in spots but it is overall fairly rideable. The west side of Loveland is steep and long and a hard ride but it is easier than coming up from Denver. I wouldn’t necessarily take what happens on the Triple Bypass as indicative of what may happen. That is a very long ride that crosses over 3 high passes in a single ride. If you broke the ride up into smaller chunks...Glenwood to Eagle, Eagle to Vail, Vail to Frisco, Frisco to Idaho Springs, Idaho Springs to Denver...the mileage is shorter and you aren’t trying to climb as much per day. Those are only about 30 mile days but they would be easier in terms of climbing.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute: