mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 178 Posts
A few general comments:
1. It looks like the parts between Eureka, NV and Klamath Falls, OR are similar to what I've done going the other direction in May 2013 (Epilogue | A bicycle ride across Africa). In general these were US highways with not too much shoulders but also not too much traffic. The combination works for me, though I do like having a mirror to just keep an eye out. Some moderate-sized gaps where one need to plan water/stops but also can be done. It looks like you might not be too far from Burning Man roughly the time it typically happens (you'll probably somewhat later).

2. Temperatures are a concern, though looks like a reasonable portion of your route is 4000ft+ which is going to help. I would plan on getting some early starts to avoid too much mid-day heat.

3. One caution I have on your UT section (Cedar City UT to Baker NV) is whether there are enough towns/water stops along the way. I don't know either way, but I would definitely check that carefully. Similarly the early parts after Klamath Falls, though I suspect this is OK.

4. Klamath Falls is an Amtrak station with baggage service on Coast Starlight. You don't need to plan, but if unforeseen things happen, this is at least a nice bailout option.