View Single Post
Old 03-13-18, 01:04 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,594 Times in 1,437 Posts
I'm trying to picture where the bolt is. I see it's an aluminum frame, but can't find any photos from tyhe left side where I assume the kickstand is mounted.

Normally kickstands wouldn't bolt directly to the chain stay, but given your problem I wonder if it is. If so, I suspect that the issue might be that the bolt is stuck because of galvanic corrosion, which would make torquing it out very difficult.

Odds are that you can get the easy-out free by turning the stub to the right using vise-grips or similar. Then you've back to the bolt which can probably be drilled out using a drill sized according to the root of the thread (use a tap drill chart to find the right size) Once that's done, you might try retapping. Or drill the bolt out with a drill matched to the OD, and fitting a thread insert if the fitting has enough meat. Or drill it out and use a riv-nut.

If I had more details, or, better yet a photo of the actual fitting I could probably give a more specific answer, but as it is, I hope this helped.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.