Old 03-29-19, 09:38 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Goodbye to bad habits:
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel
Waving off beer and junk food at this phase of the game I feel everything that is unhealthy. I’m fixing to get on my gravel bike and hammer out some miles clearing my head and getting a jolt of endorphins.

I can’t outride the vices like I use to in my younger days
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
Good luck! Whenever I begin a healthy regiment I try not to stop everything at the same time.

I remember 1 year I quit virtually everything and I went crazy in a month. Usually I'll start with Alcohol, then later clean the diet up a little at a time. 1 year my resolution towards junk food was that I just wouldn't buy anything that was served through a drive through window.
Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
Waving off BEER??? THAT's Just Not Right!!! When I ride, I tend to burn off the toxins in my body anyway, so a few beers won't kill me...

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it !!!
I once had a chat with a Marathon Runner, and he touted the bracing cardiovascular effects of a run. I told him I appreciated the detoxifying effects of good bike ride, especially after a fine (indulgent) meal the night before.

Apropos getting on a stricter lifestyle regimen, I have posted:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
winter is coming to an end

I don't think of a cycling season, but rather a cycling year with a cycle of seasons....

Not to sound religious, but I I like to think of Ash Wednesday as my “New Cycling Year’s Day.” It occurs usually still well into the Winter and I use that forty-day period of Lent as a marker to define a tolerable length of time to go into a rigorous dietary and training mode to shake off the winter blahs, even though I ride during the Winter anyways.

By Easter, Spring is making itself known and I’m particularly ready for it.

This year, Ash Wednesday is this week, March 6.

PS: I just encountered this post
written by the OP a few hours ago to a different Fifty-Plus thread, referring to vegetarian cyclists.
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel
I like my vegetables but I need my cow, pig, chicken and fish.
Not that he negates his OP.

Actually, I'm trying a low-carb diet, and fish and sparingly lean pork, and lesser beef. are my main sources of protein. I don't like chicken, and in fact just today, a colleague with whom I exchange restaurant recommendations asked me "Do you like fried chicken?"

I do like turkey white meat.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 03-29-19 at 10:30 PM. Reason: adde PS