View Single Post
Old 02-10-21, 06:43 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
Originally Posted by ndrose
While waiting for bike shops to actually have bikes for sale again, one of the bikes at the top of my fantasy buying list has been the Salsa Marrakesh.

This week the new Marrakesh appeared on the Salsa website, and I have to say I find it confusing. In the last year or two they had dropped down from Deore to Sora components, which I had understood as a necessary compromise so they could change from barends to brifters.

This year the barends are back, but they have made what looks like a lateral move (at best?) from Sora to Alivio.

Curious what others think. Is there some design improvement I’m missing, or is it a downgrade?

Or maybe they are just working with what they can get from suppliers in the pandemic?
really good point.
I wonder if Alivio has now gotten the techno gizmos quality wise that Deore used to have. As a Deore user for 30 years, the stuff just always was good, basic, lasted a fricken long time and could be bought anywhere in the world if needed. So maybe alivio is like that now. To us oldies, Alivio certainly has a cheapo aspect to it, buuuuuuuut we have old Alivio shod bikes and it just keeps on working.
I'd still rather take a Deore 10 speed setup if using barends, I realize deore wont work with sti's, so Alivio was probably a budget price thing? Although who knows, maybe it was a "get what the hell you could" thing, ---oh, and also 10 spd bar ends probably dont work with Dynasys 10 spd stuff, ie a Deore 10 spd RD....so theres that....