Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Bolding is mine

Some very good and valid points. But they are being made in a forum where reality is often superseded by dreaming and wishing.

Picking up anywhere and dropping off anywhere sounds like a good idea until one realizes sooner or later such a plan leads to chaos. I am not sure it would matter what kind of vehicle it is if you can simply leave it somewhere and sign off on a phone you could leave it at an airport and someone sooner or later would have to come an collect it. If you signed off of the system and the thing was locked it isn't your problem. And yes people vandalize cars and motorcycles and trucks everyday.

The business model "is" the problem. They seem to assume that the same people that abuse public restrooms, bus stops and peoples bike when they are just sitting in front of a store will change their habits just because someone wants to ride a scooter in town? I don't see it. I don't believe the average LCF poster in this forum does either. I base this on the number of time people have suggested using a "beater" for trips to the store and saving you "good" bike for times when you don't have to leave it unattended.

But let us take another look at the basic contention by at least one LCF advocate? If the scooters are made for people that want a minimal cost of transportation how does a system the requires someone to have a credit card fit with that ideal? How about a system that requires a smart phone and a account on an app? A smart phone often costs more than three bikes many LCF people seem to prefer. And like you posted earlier why haven't under developed countries without an automotive infrastructure jumped on the scoot4er band wagon? Or better yet why haven't the companies themselves flooded those markets with free range scooters?

I contend like you did they need the same infrastructure and dense urban area does. Good smooth pavement like what cars need to avoid serious problems that small wheeled vehicles like scooters can use. Chip seal, hard packed gravel, brick type pavers and yes dirt roads will make a scooter a nightmare to navigate.

I know this seems like nit picking and I also know the dreamers that believe because something looks like a good idea it has to work. Think Segway, not long ago someone in these very forums was sure they were the future of transportation. I guess if you live in a mall they might have their place.