Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Morelock
^Looks good

One caution/psa. Although those Ergostems were/are overbuilt, they are getting on in age (20+ years for a lot of them) so before putting one to serious use, I'd recommend disassembling it and checking the teeth on the plates. You don't want to find out one is chipped/broke during a standing start. My guess is if you got it from Carleton he kept it in shape, but always good to be sure.

Also the torque rating on the pivot bolts is very high for a bicycle part. Something that's pretty unusual to be aware of (20-25nm I think although it's been a while since I used one)
Also, there's a couple different types, but the serrated washers are a pain in the ass too. The kind I have are hardened are are basically one-use. They crack and fall apart easily, so you basically throw them away if you need to loosen and re-adjust. Probably unobtanium now, luckily I stocked up. Permanent solution is probably to have something made to duplicate once you find your perfect position, but I don't have that kind of time/money/freedom.