Old 03-17-20, 03:58 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2496 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
Thanks for all the replies, it’s been very helpful. Although I’m leaning towards the 3 bolt style as many have recommended, I can envision situations where I would rather be wearing a more walkable two bolt. If you HAD to wear a two bolt set up for a predominately flat- paved 35-40 mile scenario. What would you choose ?
Leaning? As others have noted, it isn't like you have much of a choice. Your bike already came with a set of 'road' pedals. If you want to go to SPD, that's fine, lots do. But the systems are not interchangeable. I don't have tons of money, so I always look (heh) to the budget end of things. Shimano M520's (SPD) and Giro Rumble shoes (after my Shimano MT41's got retired) are my daily setup. Shimano M540 pedals are identical to 520's but lighter. I may get some after Tax Return. I have some used Crank Bros. Eggbeaters pedals, they use SPD shoe compatible (two bolt) cleats, but the pedal interface is unique to Crank Bros. It's all kind of confusing sort of but most of us have made it our business to grok the fine details. I would advise you to do the same or someone may call you on it louder than has been the case already.