guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I'm not really into watches, but once wondered into a fancy store (Cherry Creek Mall, in Denver) while the wife and daughter were shopping for clothes. The manager chatted me up, and I asked "Which is the most expensive watch in the shop?" He led me over to a special display, got out his key and unlocked, reached in for a watch, and held it out for me to examine while saying "This one is $122,000." I did not dare touch the watch.

I believe it may have been a Patek, but I do recall with certainty that it was a tourbillion. I don't know what that means, but that's what it was.
The good (or bad) thing about watches is that no matter how well off you are, there is always a segment of watches you are too poor to own. My dream watch is by a German brand called Lange & Sohn, and costs $200k (it's called a Terra Luns, for those who want to google it and perhaps gift one to me). No way i can afford it. I bought a different Lange and i did try it out. The salesperson was hovering around me, ready to pounce if my hand even quivered a bit.... (I hope he was able to wipe my drool off it).

Originally Posted by genejockey
I could never, ever imagine wearing a watch that valuable, but knowing somebody takes the trouble to make them - I like that.
You'll appreciate this:
https://www.livemint.com/Leisure/lPl...g-watches.html
Fully handmade with obsessive attention to detail.

Are you still able to get parts for servicing your watches, given the alleged crackdown on spares availability from the Swatch group?

Last edited by guadzilla; 07-23-20 at 11:08 PM.