View Single Post
Old 09-27-20, 09:08 AM
Danhedonia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
I've ordered things this summer that were absolutely shipped out of mainland China (tools, clothing). These shipped in June, July and August. Conversely, it seems that Shimano has experienced a great disruption. SRAM not so much. I wish I knew more about that.

To those who keep asking about my level of awareness, and then scolding me, I have a question. Do you know who you are talking to? One of my friends runs an epidemiological virology lab (as in: he's the director, former Harvard Med School scientist) in Geneva. He did some of the first genetic sequencing on SARS-Cov-2 (what you call COVID); this is important because genetic markers denote degree of mutations as well as contagion patterns. I also posted about COVID in early January on my Facebook.because I knew the Chinese government had suppressed information, and a spread to that many people implied a genesis long before the claimed late Nov/early Dec date.
In fact, if you look at the implications of the genetic markers of patients 1 and 2 in Seattle (which I did, courtesy of my friend the virologist), it's disturbing: these two people did not know each other but almost certainly crossed paths randomly, somewhere. That meant what we now know: in plain language, this virus is incredibly contagious and persistent.
Finally, my wife is an RN and volunteered this summer for the Medical Reserve. They had reconfigured a Hilton downtown as a clinic for COVID positive people to be quarantined when they lacked their own ability to do so (e.g., homeless people).

Stop wasting time attacking me and projecting. If you find my question insensitive, say so: I can hear that. My world overlaps with the Navajo Nation; two of my coworkers have lost 8 and 5 family members, respectively. One of my close coworkers lost a parent.
I was sick in March and several doctors assured me that my negative test was a false-negative (I don't care, because I was terribly sick and am just grateful to still be here, albeit it has been very difficult to get a deep breath since March).

I'm aware that the supply chain is broken because of the pandemic - I am asking for details because I am a curious person. I don't know if the plants in Taiwan are closed due to the virus. I don't know if those plants supply 70, 90, or 99% of bikes and bike parts in the world. I was curious and wanted to know more about that situation.

So I asked here, figuring some people would know more than I did. Genuine questions should never be dismissed, and presuming you know things you don't (like things about my knowledge base and level of concern) is intellectually poor practice.
You don't know how the virus has impacted Shimano's factories and/or contractors? Maybe someone does, and you might also learn if that person shows up and offers insight. Or maybe you think I'm an insensitive jerk for asking. But at least take the time to ask questions and learn before you grandstand.
Likes For Danhedonia: