View Single Post
Old 09-28-20, 09:10 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
There is a quite a bit of misleading information contained in the posts in this thread. The OP's topic is broadly related "supply chain" which affects end item assemblers such as contract-built branded bikes. It is true that in order to ship completed bikes, one must have the complete set of necessary components, a finished frame, and the labor necessary to assemble/check and package the bike for shipment. Some component factories have been affected by the virus, although I have no first hand knowledge of this. Also, assembly and shipping labor may likely have been affected as well. Shipping never ceased from China (as far as my research has been able to tell), but rates slowed. The larger effect has been due to the unwillingness of some countries to accept shipments, delays in quarantine of shipping containers, and delays in inspections and customs approvals in recipient countries.

I have continued to receive parts steadily through this fall 2019 to spring 2020 outbreak, albeit at slowed rates. Plan your projects accordingly. For finished bicycles "ready to buy", you will have to wait. There are still alternatives through drop shippers and the like.

EDIT: Shipping from Japan has been stopped indefinitely.
Likes For Phil_gretz: