Thread: Inept mechanic.
View Single Post
Old 02-08-20, 11:10 AM
CyclingFool95 

Bikes: 1987 Pinarello Montello, 1996 Litespeed Classic, 1996 Colnago Master Light, 1997 Litespeed Ultimate, 2006 Opera Leonardo FP, 2006 Pinarello Paris FP, 1984 Pinarello Record, 89-ish Cornelo Profilo

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 73 Posts
[QUOTE=delbiker1;21314307]
Originally Posted by CyclingFool95
I did strip the derailleur hanger on a certain Fuji Ace through carelessness and hurry. Lesson, slow is good as long as you're enjoying the journey. Now, coffee and tunes are always part of the process.

CyclingFool95, I really enjoyed rebuilding your Fuji Ace. I also enjoy riding it and with an 8 speed cassette and 9 speed RD, high limit screw snugged down, I can use all 8 cogs. So your fix on the hanger works fine.
Glad you're enjoying it. I cant take credit for the fix. I brought it to the one LBS that hasnt screwed me yet. I'm somewhat mechanically inclined, and have been wrenching bikes for a long time, but there are certain things I just dont mess with (headset pressing, fork steerer cutting for example) partly because I dont have the right tool, and dont want to buy them, and partly because I dont want to try out the lower slopes of the learning curve on a bike I value. The "fix" for twenty years, was that a machinist friend of mine tapped the inside of the derailleur body, and cut me a thin headed cap socket bolt to fit. Nice idea on his part. I clamped the derailleur on tight and just left it alone. It was only when I went from 7 speed downtube Chorus to 10 speed Shimano, that I had to deal with it.

Last edited by CyclingFool95; 02-08-20 at 11:16 AM.