Old 04-03-10, 02:20 PM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by one-headedboy
Do you need to use proofide on a brooks saddle? I got my bike about a month ago (a Raleigh Sojourn) and I have not applied proofide at all. I haven't done much at all really, just ride it. A lot. The guy at the bike store told me to use some leather soap on it, but I've read varying opinions on using leather soap.
There are endless threads on this topic on BikeForums.

Read the Brooks instructions on their website. It's pretty clear what they want you to do. Obenhauf's, IMHO, is almost exactly the same stuff and it's a couple of bucks cheaper. For under $10 you've got enough to last for years.

Here's what Brooks says (BTW, my Brooks saddles don't get this much care, and they seem to do fine):

A new saddle should be treated with Brooks Proofide leather dressing to help assist the ‘breaking-in’ process. Proofide keeps the leather supple as it is specially formulated from natural ingredients to condition, preserve and shower proof your saddle. Proofide is the only substance that should be used to care for your Brooks Leather Saddle.
Apply a little Proofide to the finished side of the leather. Allow the Proofide to permeate until dry and then polish off. Proofide should be used several times during the ‘breaking-in’ period and every 3-6 months thereafter. On bicycles not fitted with mudguards, an initial application to the underside of the saddle will be beneficial, this needs not to be polished off. The leather gets its colour during the tanning process and it is possible, therefore, that some colour residues will remain. It is recommended to polish the saddle with a soft cloth before first use.