View Single Post
Old 11-29-19, 02:00 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
Welcome! There are definitely some advantages to buying from Dick's Sporting Goods, including convenience (if you don't have a good local bike shop) or perhaps even lack of attitude (some local bike shops can be pretty stand-offish). On the other hand, I think the value of these two bikes (what you get for what you pay) can be beat by some decent bike shop brands (like Giant for example).

Link to GT Talera 4.0: link
Link to GT Vantara Comp: link

They are both $600. The GT Talera 4.0 has a basic Suntour suspension fork, 3x8 drivetrain, and cable-operated disc brakes. The Giant Roam 3 disc ($550) has a similar suspension fork and drivetrain, but upgraded hydraulic brakes (vs. cable-operated), and for less money. The GT Vantara is a rigid aluminum fork hybrid, also with a 3x8 drivetrain, but with rim brakes. The Giant Escape 2 Disc is $580, and comes with a similar 8-speed drivetrain and aluminum fork, but with disc brakes vs. rim brakes. The Giant Escape most similar to that GT Vantara is the Escape 2 ($505).

Aside from initial value at purchase, you generally get a nice service-after-the-sale offer at local bike shops (like free tune-ups, service checks, etc.). Sometimes these are up to a year or three years or even as long as you own the bike. It'll depend on the bike shop.

I would also strongly advising test-riding a bike before you buy it, to make sure it fits you well, that you're comfortable on it, that you like the way it rides, etc. Especially with you looking at two different styles of hybrid (both with and without suspension forks), I recommend you giving a good test ride of each type before you buy. You'll definitely be able to do this at a local bike shop. Your local Dick's may be amendable to that, but some are not.

Good luck!