View Single Post
Old 05-09-19, 09:29 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3064 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 139 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
Good guidance here. I've had built a number of custom frames due to a neck injury years ago, my short arms, my long legs and long torso. This typically winds up in a longer head tube than typical. My normal frame size is around a 58cm where traditionally head tubes have ranged from 100mm (old school) to around 140mm. I built a bike around a custom geometry Gunnar Crosshairs frame about 6 years ago with a 189mm head tube. Now, the Domane in a 58cm frame is darn close to that (within a few millimeters).

The trend though does seem to be more towards what Trek has going on with the Domane geometry especially with offerings in the "gravel/endurance" category (broad, yes I know). Specifically, if you're looking at steel, the Gunnar Roadie Disc might be right in the sweet spot that the OP is asking for. The non-custom geometry frame comes in at $1300. With careful component selection, ought to be quite possible to hit those price targets. The Gunnar Roadie Disc has a geometry that is in the same vein as the Domane - higher head tube/more upright position, <32mm tires, relatively short chain stays.

J.
I was looking into buying a Gunner Roadie when I got a sweet deal on my Domane(60cm shop demo bike)..It's nearly identical geometry to my custom CF frameset I was replacing, but once i added the option for internal Di2 routing, rear brake hose, and an Enve fork, the Domane was a far better deal.

If I was looking for a steel gravel bike, the Gunner Hyper-x would be on my short list.

Last edited by noodle soup; 05-09-19 at 11:18 AM.