spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by stardognine
I can't trust myself to remember 4 (or however many) random numbers. I choose the simplicity of a keyed Master padlock and cable. 👍
Now then, to prove she's fickle, fate made me lose my key just yesterday. I spent about half the day retracing my steps and repacking everything, and never did find it, until today. Seems I never repacked my handlebar bag, so never threw away all those napkins, that were covering my key. 🙄😋
Plus a key is easier to deal with in a dark area. Even in the day time the bike car on the Empire Builder can be dark. I hate messing with a combo luck when you are under the gun to get the bike out of the car.

I don't know what I will do for my GAP trip. Last time @robow and I just hung the bikes and did not lock them. It is only a couple of stops so you will probably be OK. Maybe I will do the same this year and just exit the train car at the stops (if allowed might not be at Rockwood maybe Connelsville) or I will buy a padlock and take that.

On my trip back from Seattle in a couple of weeks I will lock it. Train ride is over night on the Chicago run. Last year, I forgot to lock it, Talked to the conductor and he let me in the bike car. That was a lot of fun moving through the car with nothing to hang on to on a moving train. Good thing I have a lot of experience with sailing, it applied that day. ;_

For some reason I chose my light cable lock I use for panniers. It was a PITA to unlock once I got to Pittsburgh.