Old 01-29-06, 11:29 PM
attercoppe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
Of course, you never bother to share your ideas in a constructive manner, so I guess we'll never know what you think, or even if you think. We'll only know what you hate, and that seems to be just about everybody and everything.
Sic 'em, Roody! Ouch! Actually, I think that's a bit harsh - certainly there are some who don't belong in the LCF forum, who just come to troll and never contribute anything useful. (I'll not name names here, I imagine you know who I mean anyway.) ILTB gets a bit snarky in this thread, but he also brought up some good points for discussion.

Speaking of good points,

Originally Posted by Roody
One less automobile owned is one less automobile manufactured, and one less scrapped.

Also, privately owned cars are an inefficient use of resources. They are typically used for only a couple hours out of 24, and usually they haul one person on wasteful trips. It seems much more efficient to rent a car for a specific purpose, and then turn it in when you're done.

Furthermore, some of us lack the will power to avoid using the car if we own it. At 5:30 on a chilly morning, some will drive if they possess a car, but would gladly ride if they did not.
...here are some more. Count me among those with some lack of willpower. If the van I own was licensed, and I had insurance, I would be tempted to drive at least occasionally, rather than letting it sit in the driveway to rot. The temptation to go ahead and get it legal, despite the high cost and low value, has helped convince me to get rid of it.