froging
Fully Relying On God

Bikes: Schwinn Skyliner Comfort Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fat Tire
So what about us 50+ heavyweight then? We have to read through both sets of documents?

I think with the increase in internally geared hubs, people buying their first bike may be better served by more non-dérailleur information.(Like its not necessary to shift down before stopping, because you can shift while stopped/standing, without harming the hub.)

And the gear ratio of a Shimano eight speed hub, is about that of a 27 speed dérailleur, so they can buy a modern bike and not be plagued with shifting, while they learn to ride, in traffic, on an unadjusted bike. It can be hard, to get it all down at once, and it may be unnecessary. The downside is most 8 speed hubs cost an additional $150-200, which may not be all that large a sum. (Sheldon Brown has pretty good information about the gear ratios across many hubs, but it may need more info on the Nu Vinci (gearless) hub.)

On another topic, I have located a PDF file, originally from Rivendell Bicycle that may help people choose the size of their wheels and tires, to suit their riding styles/preferences/need for comfort, and most of us can stand to limit our choices, intelligently, up front.

Would that be better posted here, on the Clydes forum, or not at all?
OK so Who is right and who is wrong. Cuase the Spin Doctor guys at Performance Bike shop in Bellevue, WA told me IT'S NOT GOOD TO SHIFT when I'm stopped and the wheels are not spinning. So I don't think this is a good message to put out there. They told me it can harm the de-railers.
Some of us 50+ are buying used bikes so we can learn to ride again and then step up to a new bike after we fall a few times with the old bike. When I buy my new bike I want it to look new for awhile not look all beet up from falling. But then again that is just me. But I bet there is more like me out there.

Last edited by froging; 12-29-09 at 12:27 AM. Reason: Left something out