Old 02-15-11, 11:28 AM
gmacmt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Positron, the weight I listed, ~15lbs, was without including the weight of the bags. That is just the stuff that will go in them.
The mamiya is going to make it tricky. That is not calculated into my overall weight, so you are right, will likely be around 20 w/ lens and film.

My tent pad and bag weigh in at 4.4 pounds. From there, it just depends on how much I want to sacrifice in regards to clothing and whatnot. I have to plan for rain, so my raingear wont be light if I want to be comfortable. I am only bringing 1 pair of shoes (for riding). Probably a pair of zipoff pants and one pair riding shorts. Some lightweight shirts. An ultralightweight down jacket (157grams). Then add a few pairs of socks, and a hat. Other than that, a minimal parts kit (as I will never be traveling remotely), toiletries, and random other junk. I think I can swing a sub 40 pound rolling weight pretty easy.

Absolutely no cooking gear. Too big and too much weight. I am fine eating PB&J.

I work at an outdoor gear shop, so I have access to a lot of ultralight stuff super cheap, which helps.

No photos of current build, as it is still being built. But I assure you it would be met with much dismay and contempt. Its a stupid bike to ride. (Think slight pursuit geometry. I know, its a bad idea) I will post photos closer to the date so that noone convinces me to go against my poor judgement

Here are some photos from my first tour, where I didnt emphasize ultralightweight anywhere near as much as I am now. This was solo, unsupported mexico to canada. Note the "sparse" wheelset and race tires. Not one mechanical the entire 2000 miles. Something like 3 flats and one tire replacement, only because the previous set had ~5k on them. The only work I had done was a rear wheel true. Averaging ~100mi/day.

I manufactured this sheetmetal rack system which later (about 1k miles) proved to be an utter failure. There is really nothing inside of them in this photo.

Then, once they failed, I switched to panniers. ALL of my stuff could fit into one of these, but I hated the weight distribution so I ran both half full. I know I can pack more efficiently this time.

Last edited by gmacmt; 02-15-11 at 11:53 AM.