Old 04-11-16, 11:15 PM
dunderhi

Bikes: Little Wing, XTRACK, Electron Pro, SuperCorsa, Paramount, & Thunderdrome

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
The TK1 (55mm) is only popular among people being paid to ride them or who get them for free.
Unless you have some type of survey data, I'll take that as your opinion.

OK. Please tell me which ones?
In the past two years, I stepped onto the podium with each of my current bikes: the Argon 18, the Pinarello, and the Paramount. It's more about the legs, heart, and lungs than the bike, but the bike should be something that you enjoy riding.

Also, you what say you about extending the top tube to increase Stack as opposed to dropping the BB?
Hopefully, you mean head tube. I already addressed this; raise the BB, raise the seat, raise the bars, and decrease the stability. If you didn't get the nuance, raising the bars requires either a longer head tube or more spacers.

If you have $6,000 to spend on a track frame, more power to you. That's nuts. I'm sure when they set that price, someone in the meeting was like, "Somebody will buy it...watch."

(I also think the $10,000 LOOK L96 is grossly overpriced. Especially with the awful customer service.)
My three purchased track frames average $2.5k each, so hopefully that's a reasonable price range. The Paramount was free, which is an even better price range.

It's cool, man.
Wow, if that was your first post, this flame would have never started, but it's also good to let people know they don't need to chase every trend in the bicycle industry and there are plenty of options that are acceptable. I work with new riders and teach at the Try the Track and whatever bike they have is pretty much good enough. I never tell them their BB is too low or their bars are too wide. I just make sure their bikes are sound and they learn to ride safe. Everyone isn't automatically training for the worlds, so everyone doesn't need to emulate the pros.

My point is that, "Old school" geometry is considered old school for a reason. The reasons that BBs have gotten higher are not because of aesthetics, it's because in the 70's and 80's 333M and 400M tracks with 14 degree banks were world class standard tracks. Now 250m tracks with 44 degree banks are standard. And some go over 44 degrees. It's a safety concern...so why not?
Really, I thought there were more 333m & 400m tracks in the the US than 250m tracks. I've raced at Rock Hill and never felt unsafe, but I'll also claim that I know what I am doing on the track.

Congrats, you finally joined the it's "old school" track geometry, just as I posted in my very first post about the geometry.

You have two options when you are match sprinting or simply turning up track on a 250:

- Worry about clipping a pedal.
- Worrying about winning your race.

You are very likely to race at 250m track as an active masters racer. In the past few years Masters Nationals has been held at Rock Hill and The Superdrome and it will be at ADT next year...all 250m tracks. Trust me, you do not want to snag a pedal and slide down a turn at the Superdrome. Sliding down 30ft of a surface similar to skateboard grip tape is not fun.
Ahh, I'm not a match sprinter. I don't care about match sprinting. I avoid match sprints. I did a sprint tournament last year and despite the fact that I podiumed, I felt like I lost a race day.

Yes... you have decided to ride 165mm cranks next year...but what if you decide to go back to 172.5?
I have 165, 167.5, 170, and 172.5mm cranks. Just like my chainrings and cogs, I pick whichever is appropriate for the track, the races, and my conditioning. I also bring more than one bike to the track on any given race day. It's good to have as many options as possible.

My bigger point is that you have nothing to gain by going to a lower bottom bracket and are ignoring the reasons why others have gone to a higher bottom bracket.
The benefits of the lower BB is increased stability and improved aerodynamics. The only downside is IF, and that's a big IF, I don't where my pedals are then I could hit the track if I am not careful. The good news is I always know where my pedals are and I'm always careful. It's as easy as riding a bike.

Seems like you have already made your mind and that's cool. But, you started the discussion.
All I did was reply to a forum member who said he couldn't wait to see my next build. I'm not sure why you felt the need to jump in on the conversation to correct that my 58mm drop was not medium-high only to state the 55mm was medium-high instead and later that 58mm was street geometry.

In the end I look forward to getting my No. 22 exactly how I want it and there isn't a track in the US that it would give me any pause to race upon. So with that bold statement, I will end my part in this conversation. Enjoy what you ride and I'll do the same.