Thread: Shingles!!
View Single Post
Old 11-27-17, 10:32 AM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
No viral vaccine claims to be 100% effective. The old shingles vaccine (Zostavax) reduces the risk of developing shingles by 51% and post-herpetic neuralgia (PHN) by 67%.

The new vaccine, Shingrix, is claimed to reduce the risk of developing shingles by 97.2% in subjects 50 years and older.
Actually, vaccines don't stop you from "getting" any virus. They simply help your immune system to recognize and overcome the disease before it goes viral. Sometimes a person who received the vaccine still has the disease reach the point where the symptoms are evident, i.e. it goes "viral". That doesn't mean the vaccine wasn't effective. In many instances with the flu vaccine a person gets the flu, but thinks it's only a cold that they overcame quickly. Because it doesn't reach the more serious level with all the symptoms they don't recognize they actually had a very mild case of the flu.
As for shingles, yes I had a case when I was in college and went through my first set of final exams. Eating poorly, not sleeping the correct amount and some beer drinking probably contributed. During semester break, went home and saw our family doctor who prescribed some ointment and put me on steriods (I think). It took about a month but it all healed up but I had scars until I reached my 40s.
I didn't know about the new vaccine. I'll have to ask my doc about it.