View Single Post
Old 08-18-18, 02:53 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Stop quicker, 2) better modulation, 3) unaffected by moisture. I'm pretty sure at this point for all the reasons that we rely on brakes for they are better.
heavier, more complicated to install and maintain, provide no real improvement in stopping ability in most situations. Not better.

Different.

I have hydro discs, mech discs, and goo and less good rim brakes (though the less good are on a bike I just resurrected and are getting replaced) on bikes I currently ride. I have no problem stopping ion Any of them except the bike with old Mavic sidepulls ... and that stops quite well, just not as good as the 4600, 4500, 4700, 105, and Ultegra brakes I use on others. The Mech discs have huge stopping power .... but it is all wasted because the tires are the limiting factor.

You Like discs better, so you focus ont he aspects of disc brakes you find appealing. others focus on the drawbacks. I like having reliable brakes on my bikes, so i don't have to pick favorites among systems which all work about equally well.

But ... since you have made up your mid about Your preference, you feel a need to demand that everyone prefer what you prefer. And everyone who disagrees with Your preference is wrong.

Which is why this conversation usually dead-0ends here---someone want =s oto discuyss how he is right and everyone is wrong, instead of actually talking about brake systems.

Up until this point, I was quite pleased to see people actually discussing the Options ... not trying to establish heirarchies of personal preference and mandate them for everyone.

That's all.