View Single Post
Old 06-05-19, 05:39 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
Originally Posted by DropBarFan
Rehoboth Beach MD also started as a Methodist religious retreat. Now they sell alcohol but still known as a family-friendly spot vs the more party-type atmosphere of OC MD.
I was there several years ago. Rode to Belleplain State Forest (where I was last weekend). The next day I rode to Cape May, NJ and took the ferry to Lewes for two nights of camping at Cape Henlopen State Park. Did a day ride to Rhehobeth for lunch. You can get there from the park almost entirely using trails and low-traffic roads with good bike lanes. I like how the town has established shuttle bus service to the main drag from remote parking lots to ease traffic congestion.

Henlopen is a really nice place. Lots of trails and bike-friendly roads. You see lots of young kids riding with their families. It was originally a military base established to guard the mouth of the Delaware River against Nazi infiltration. When it was no longer needed, the feds gave the land to the state. It's almost impossible to get a camp site there on the weekends unless you book WAY in advance. My trip was over Easter weekend and even then the campground was probably 80% full, if not more.