seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
Looks like there used to be a sticker on the bottom bracket. Probably had a serial number on it. I don’t think Surly uses stickers. Both of my Surlys are stamped. Troll and World Troller.
Yep, unless they sticker prototypes, perhaps to discourage resell.

Originally Posted by tyrion
Doesn't S&S control the distribution of their couplers to certified installers? A LHT frame with S&S couplers seems like such a bizarre item to counterfeit, it's such a niche product and not all that expensive. And if you're going to go through the trouble of making a counterfeit coupled frame, why not just stamp a realistic number on it?
I agree the counterfeit theory seems unlikely, unless the couplers themselves are counterfeit too, then it makes sense. A counterfeit stamped serial number would make the OP's suspect frame seem far more legit, unless the stamper doesn't know the s/n format and stamps a clearly bogus number.

Notice I also suggested the idea of a prototype. An email or phone call to Surly in MN would likely definitively resolve the prototype theory. It seems like a prototype frame would be found closer to Surly/QBP HQ in MN than the UK.

I have personally encountered counterfeit NiMH batteries, bike stems, knives from several makers, and flash memory. In each case I would not have known these items were counterfeit from casual inspection. Amazon is one of the largest sellers of counterfeit goods - for example, there is usually at least one third party seller offering counterfeit Spyderco knives. The counterfeits get mixed in with genuine so that all inventory is suspect. The better counterfeits are virtually identical to the genuine article in outward appearance. Considering it's clearly profitable to counterfeit $30 memory and $60 pocket knives, one shouldn't wholly dismiss the notion of a counterfeit $800 bicycle frameset.