View Single Post
Old 04-29-15, 12:17 PM
Bikeman58

Bikes: Giant Defy, 1977 LeJeune #1 French Team Bike, Geoffrey Butler custom, Specialized Stumpjumper, Gary Fisher SuperCaliber, Bianchi Volpe, Melon Slice folding bike, Genesis folding bike, etc.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I went Genesis... and a couple of weeks in have no regrets. Solidly built frame and okay parts. Came with a bent rear axle, but Kent sent me out a new rear wheel and I had it in less than a week. Awesome customer service.
Added grease and adjusted hubs, headset and BB... all were very tight and binding. Now everything feels pretty good.

Went to my local bike co-op / non-profit and scored with an older STX RC rear derailleur which shifts much, much nicer than the Tourney the Genesis came with -- and it is all metal.
Took the Hookworm tires, Ergo seat and Planet Bike rack off my broken down Downtube and put those on the Genesis -- saved around $140 bucks there.
Changed out the uncomfortable grips, added bar ends for some additional reach, an IncrediBell, and I am in business.
Still want to change the Fleaby freewheel -- that is definitely the weak link on this bike. It knocks and occasionally slips... I just have to figure out if I want to change to a 7-speed configuration... but then I will need a new shifter, and I suspect a new chain.
What drivetrain upgrades are folks recommending?

Anyway, since I had most of these parts already, I have added a whopping $15. to my purchase price... so I am pretty pleased so far.

Thanks to everyone on this thread whose posts encouraged me to go this route. I think the Genesis is definitely a category killer... and the best value in the sub $500 price range.