View Single Post
Old 04-30-15, 12:21 PM
Bikeman58

Bikes: Giant Defy, 1977 LeJeune #1 French Team Bike, Geoffrey Butler custom, Specialized Stumpjumper, Gary Fisher SuperCaliber, Bianchi Volpe, Melon Slice folding bike, Genesis folding bike, etc.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Remi
I think the Genesis is definitely a category killer... and the best value in the sub $500 price range.

I'm not sure I would agree with that. For your $200 you're getting a lot of cheap, heavy parts that people seem to spend a lot of time fixing/replacing. It seems to me most buyers would be better off starting with an Origami, Downtube, or the lower-end Dahons and Terns. Or buy used.
I stand by what I said with a caveat: you have to be a bike mechanic, technically proficient, or willing to learn, to really get the value out of the Genesis. I can pick up better parts and replace bit by bit... it is a hobby. Also, this is not necessarily the best bike for someone who is not familiar with bikes and just wants to take it out of the box and ride, though if your budget is $200. and you can't find something decent used...

For the record, it is as light as my Downtube was / and my friends Downtube. Though heavier than the Nova, it feels sturdier and has a less upright riding position that I prefer. It is about the same weight as my Melon Slice -- though the Slice did hot come with rear rack braze-ons, which limits the functionality for me. Most of the sub $500. bikes make compromises and use a number of cheap parts... my wife's Nova and the Genesis both came with low end Shimano Derailleurs... the one on the Nova broke and I replaced it -- on the Genesis, I replaced proactively.

Where I think the Genesis shines is the frame (consensus of my "folding bike" friends is that it is nicer than my Melon frame or Downtube frames)... though only time will tell about its durability.

I also like that the Genesis is a rigid frame. I just don't get most of the suspension folders -- too heavy and clunky and you lose efficiency. Maybe if you are going to use it a lot off road... but then I want a real Mountain Bike.

I liked Melon, but they appear to be out of business. Hasa impresses me, as does Origami... but no one else can touch $200.