Old 10-17-18, 08:20 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I’m still perplexed on the severity of my crash in August. I’ve gone down before but but this one was a really hard blow. Speed was in the low 20s on flat ground so not super fast. But the bike and I literally went flying when I hit the gravel and my right side slammed down hard on the asphalt. The surgeon said it was an extremely hard blow and similar to what he’d expect in car crashes. The good news was the surgeon said my bones were really strong and didn’t show signs of aging or calcium deficiency.

I’ve now thoroughly gone over the bike and found damage in really strange places. For instance, the cable stop on the right side down tube didn’t break but had a huge gash, maybe from a rock. I had to drill out the hollow bolt that runs through the stop as the end was curled in. The cable stop is under the down tube and not very exposed. The left bar tape was shredded and the left shifters were pushed in although I landed on my right side. I don’t recall the left side hitting the ground. The rear derailleur was scuffed and RD hanger was bent in so the right side shows signs of the hit.

I’ve ridden through and across gravel before without issues. The more I try to rationalize it the weirder it seems to get.

Celebrated Eight weeks into recovery with an eight mile walk. Walking more than anything else with the new hip. Riding an upright exercise bike indoors. I’ve been putting and chipping at the golf course a lot. Another 6 weeks before riding outdoors and full golf swings. Struggling with my weight but not fretting over it. Maybe it was just time to take some time off from all the healthy habits**********