Old 07-09-20, 11:37 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Piff
We also have god-given long and mid cage derailleurs, very nice modern and retro models. Isn't the derailleur pretty noisy when pedaling the big ring no matter what rear cog is chosen? That's what I found when I attempted to force a short cage into a triple configuration.
It's noisy on the big cog, but the rest of the cogs are fine. Also, the SR front derailleur shifts the triple amazingly well with this set of chainrings. I've found that a Nuovo Record front derailleur is absolutely terrible with a 52-42-24 crankset. It wouldn't shift from the small ring to the middle -- I had to shift from the small ring to the big ring and then back down to the middle. (I won't even dare show this crowd the bike that has that! Suffice to say I wanted to at least have a chance of climbing the hills at California Eroica.) I had heard that a 49T big ring is the secret to making the NR work with a triple. A bigger granny gear probably wouldn't hurt either. With the 49-42-32 rings, the Super Record shifts as well as if it were designed for this.