Old 10-29-19, 09:55 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: http://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,392 Times in 2,092 Posts
The "DL-1" model name has become a generic term to refer to any Raleigh 28" roadster in common parlance - whether correct or incorrect.

To be specific though, the Raleigh DL-1 is the most commonly known and last incarnation (excluding the current Raleigh Tourist DeLuxe from Raleigh of Denmark) of the 28" wheel, rod-brake Raleigh roadster with bolt-on stays and relaxed frame geometry.

However, if you go back to the 1938 catalog (at least the one I have on reference), the "Tourist" is listed as the Model 21. The "DL" acronym wasn't used until the 1960's, IIRC.

This gets stranger by 1948 (at least), as Raleigh expanded their 28" rod-brake roadster lineup. A new budget-minded Popular - otherwise identical to the Tourist - came with a hockey stick guard - Dynohub and lighting optional. The Tourist was now the next model up, with chaincase, dry battery unit, and Dyonthree hub. A third model, the Superbe Tourist, also popped up - basically the Tourist with a fork lock and green enamel paint. To make it a bit more confusing,the Popular was the Model 1 while the Tourist was the Model 2. The Superbe Tourist? Model 3.

By 1951, the Tourist gained a fork lock as standard equipment. At this point, the Superbe Tourist seems to be differentiated only by the green enamel and a Dynofour hub (the specifications are given generically in the catalog).

There are probably some other oddities in the middle of it, but a lot of catalogs that I haven't even had time to sift through have popped up in the few years I've been absent from the hobby.

FYI, the "Superbe" moniker was plastered on the Sports and Dawn models too. In the 1950's, it seems to be Raleigh's marketing speak for green enamel, a fork lock, and possibly a Dynofour FG hub upgrade. By the 1960's, the Superbe was spun off as its own model, and was usually a variant of the conventional Raleigh Sports with a Dynohub and lighting (some years also came with the the S5 hub, but that's not exclusive to the Superbe).

Also, by the 1950s, the "Tourist" moniker became tacked onto the names of some of the 26" non-bolt-on-stay models, just to give the Enigma decrypters something to do after the war.

I'm still pretty convinced that your machine is a Popular by virtue of the hockey stick chainguard.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 10-31-19 at 05:29 AM.
Likes For cudak888: