View Single Post
Old 11-16-19, 12:26 PM
1saxman

Bikes: Trek 930 (1992), Motobecane Hybrid w/juice brakes, spring fork and Shimano 8-spd hub.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
ttt1232- The only problem with the possible problem you describe is that the clutch doesn't slip WRT the brake shoes like it does with the drive function. The part of the clutch that the pointer is pointing at is that drive side and, yes, it's shallowly splined surface can wear and/or get glazed. But the other side of the clutch (not pointed at and being the brake shoe engaging portion) usually has two lugs or protrusions that hold the shoes from slipping WRT the clutch. Andy (who was nervous when he first overhauled a Bendix CB hub way back when and after having done a number of SA AWs and S3Cs).
Did you ever get into a Bendix Automatic? I had those as a kid in the late '50s. Pretty amazing thing and a terrific brake with its three large shoes but I never found a grease exactly like the factory grease. It looked like white soap but was soft and not 'stringy' at all. I used one again years later in the '80s and learned that you don't use a Teflon grease in a CB hub! That really should have been obvious.
BTW, I think on the OP brake hub the problem is wear resulting from lubrication failure. The wear will be manifest in the drum/hub braking surface and the shoes. If new shoes don't make it good enough the brake sector of the hub might be a write-off.

Last edited by 1saxman; 11-16-19 at 12:31 PM.