View Single Post
Old 05-29-20, 07:22 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Bar ends or backsweep handlebar?

I have ridden a 26" bike with 640mm handlebars and bar ends for 10 years. I currently have a new bike (a Canyon Grand Canyon) with 740mm handlebars and I'm having issues with wrist and hand pain.

I have a history of hand pain problems which I succesfully alleviated using a combination of silicone grips, lowish pressure on the suspension fork, bar ends to change hand positions and powerful brakes to avoid prolonged efforts on descents.

I'm in the process of tuning my new bike. So far I'm ok with the fork, fitted silicone grips, and I just bought MT520 brakes to have nice braking vs the stock MT400. I'm not so sure about using bar ends on a 740mm handlebar though. I've been thinking about trying a 16 / 20º backsweep handlebar instead, but I'm not sure if I will compromise handling when descending or if I'll need a longer stem with them to avoid having them too close for climbing. Has anyone tried such handlebars? suggestions?

I don't care much about aesthetics. I care about riding without pain.

Thanks!