Old 07-07-20, 07:11 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by flangehead
I have had one case where a pedestrian appeared to shield her eyes from the blinking Cygolite. I see her often and I have been covering the light when I’m near her.
I do the same thing with my cygolite, try to shield it so it doesn't blind oncoming people. This is on the 350 lumen setting mind you. Just basic manners, don’t be a dick sort of thing. People with their 1000+ lumen headlights must be scorching retinas. Interestingly I run Planet Bike Grateful Red taillights. Love that name. Unlike other lights it has the legally required reflector area.

Automobile headlights have restrictions on beam patterns and luminosity. The US and Europe have different standards, supposedly illegal to use European lights in the US. Sounds to me like the Germans are trying to do something similar specifying patterns of bike headlights. They do this to not only ensure the road is well lit, but to keep from blinding oncoming traffic. But now bikes have headlights that are stronger than car high beams, but with zero regulations on where the light shines.

Only a matter of time until laws are created.

As for that Washington state statute, pretty sure that covers what can be put on the vehicle/bike. Other states probably have similar laws. I’m not a big rule follower, but the fact numerous agencies make strobing lights illegal ought to tell you something.

The thing that pisses me off with strobes is people who run them on the pitch black bike trails. I carry a spare cygolite and when some disco wannbe comes toward me I turn two lights on full strobe, aim them up and out, then announce “strobe off please” when I pass. The stereo effect really catches their attention. I’m adding an air zounder next.

That angst spills over into the daytime riders because they just look like total dorks. Can’t believe flashing lights are all that effective.