View Single Post
Old 07-01-19, 04:31 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speed
Well I was more referring to the internet obsessed who sit in the tent/hotel surfing the internet for an hour+ at a time, or someone sitting there blogging all night, not spending a few minutes posting a picture to facebook or something. But whatever you do, have at it. I think I explained my opinion that there's nothing wrong with using some technology on your tour, getting some work done, etc... Just that I personally would prefer to walk around the woods, sit around a fire, or walk around a town rather than sit in a hotel room or tent putzing online all evening. I could spend an hour or two writing about my ride for the day, or I could spend an hour or two hiking. I'll hike.
oh.. I dunno. I've been keeping journals off and on most of my adult life and recently rediscovered a stash of them including my first bike tour in 91, several climbs I did and the summer I lived in a tent with my dog while working as a river rafting assistant guide. I'm currently writing my "memoirs" and they are pretty important insights into the past thoughts that I had forgotten - most notably how much angst I felt about the competitive nature of outdoor pursuits and the difficulties I had stepping away from it.

The problem is that they are all hand written and have to be laboriously transcribed to digital format. I still do written hournals on trips but convert them back home into word documents.

Some people say they just live in the moment but I find that a little short sighted when one can't share the experience with others and will forget the nuances themselves over time.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 07-01-19 at 04:37 PM.