Old 03-31-19, 04:17 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
As I posted "...what have you done for me lately wins the majority of the time. "
Rift Valley Academy gets more discussion going than UC Irvine. That leads to a number of other topics.
And it was a rather educational experience.

Strikes me as odd that you lump high school as being irrelevant for a guy in his mid-late 50s when applying for a job as 'what have you done for me lately.' Why should we hire you Mr. Gsteinb? "Well, 37 years ago I graduated from this high school, and the experience was so pivotal I'm stuck there." hmmm. I get you're talking about an experience of living abroad, but I figure it's the experience of being abroad that's relevant and interesting, and not so much the high school. Unless it's some really famous school for some reason. But for the overwhelming majority of people with actual work experience if you even mentioned high school it would probably be a demerit. If you were in your 50s you'd most certainly not get the job. All of this seems different than "what have you done for me lately" though, which is a reference to a particular syndrome of always wanting something bigger and better. That's different than being able to be relevant and on topic. To that end, putting your hobbies on a professional resume that isn't a first resume is probably in most cases a sign of immaturity. If you raced professionally sure go for it. Local cat 1? Probably shows that you're overly investing in things that aren't relevant to the work force. "Hey, do you have flex time? I need to get a two hour training ride in at lunch"....

And I get that your kid had, and you may have had outlier experiences that pushed you above the heap. And this isn't a call for folks not to think outside the box or cast their accomplishments in the best most unique light possible. But let's not commit career suicide folks.

Last edited by gsteinb; 03-31-19 at 07:16 AM.