View Single Post
Old 03-30-21, 06:33 AM
SapInMyBlood
Enthusiastic Sufferer

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Roubaix, 2014 Salsa Fargo, 2013 Trek Remedy, 2014 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I don't know of any randonneuring clubs in the US which practice audax riding. I've never heard of one anyway. I know some folks call it that because it's French and thus Exotic. In the US, randonneuring clubs put on brevets, populaires, flèches, and post lists of Permanents which can be ridden solo or in a small group. I think most clubs post finishing times for brevets and populaires. That does encourage a bit of competition. Audax riding was devised specifically to eliminate any competition, which is probably why it is seldom practiced in the USA. So that's one thing.

The other thing is that randonneuring, at least at 300k and up, is all about endurance. Like when you flat on a gravel road in the rain at 2am and haven't seen a car in 2 hours and all you want to do sit in a ditch and cry. Or when you hit that long 10% grade with 30,000' of climbing in your legs.

What all that comes down to is that many very experienced randonneurs are not particularly light, but they still get to the top of the last pass somewhere up in the standings just because they are so strong. So sure, lose fat, though many randonneurs carry a good bit extra, from all the eating on long rides, trying to keep the energy up. Like what you do instead of crying in a ditch is eat. Don't worry about your legs being strong. You'll need them.
My bad, I may be using the audax / randonneur terms incorrectly. I like long rides.

I've done 300km + day rides. And rides up to 200km fasted. I know what I'm doing nutrition wise for long distance, as far as fuelling and pacing is concerned

I'm definitely not gaining muscle mass too fast, I just already have it!

I'm looking at athletes like boxers, or MMA fighters, gymnasts or dancers.. All very very strong legs but none of them have massive legs like cyclists. Even pro tour de France riders seem to have relatively small legs considering their power output. Maybe that's a function of protein restriction more than anything else

My main reason for diminishing leg size is I enjoy other sports where lightness is an advantage. Rock climbing, calisthenics, running.. Being lighter is generally helpful across disciplines