Old 03-03-19, 10:44 AM
DarKris

Bikes: Kona Kahuna DL Drop Bar - Sensah SRX Pro 1x11 (2012 Frame), Giant Toughroad GX 1 - Shimano Road Hydro + SLX 1x10 (2018), Diamondback Sync'r - SRAM NX 1x12 (2020)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelsmcgee
The bike looks awesome and crazy fun. Not surprised that you went with a frame billed with female-specific geo...they seem to counter the biggest problem of most MTB drop bar conversions (frames that are too long and low). “Too low” can be fixed with the right angled stem (in extreme cases, VO’s Cigne stem or Crust’s LD stem) but with “too long” you are basically SOL.

Now that I look again, the frame has a bit of the characteristic semi-“step through” feature of many female-specific bikes, but I think that’s probably a good thing considering on snow you might have to make a few unexpected dismounts

The real question for me is why doesn’t at least *one* company sell a drop bar fatty like this?! I know it’s not going to be everyone’s cup of tea, but I have to think enough would buy it that one company (like Framed, BD, or one of the big three, who all poop out tons of fatbikes) could fit one drop bar fatty in their lineup!
I love having a lower standover honestly. I usually ride larger frames to get enough reach without a super long stem but the annoying part has usually been having the top tube right up my you know what.

As for the why no one makes a drop bar fatty, I kinda talked about it but fat bikes are still somewhat niche I feel, so going with a drop bar fat bike would be a niche within a niche. If that's what you really want however, you'd definitely would be paying a higher premium for it. This definitely is a lower end build altogether and I was lucky to get this at only around $1150. I'd expect a production drop bar fat bike to be in the ballpark of $2000+ depending on the component choice. But hey if there's enough of a demand someone might do it.

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Often read here about index miss matching , with Road STI brifters, and mountain derailleurs, ... I assume you sorted out the shifting while on the repair stand..
Yup. Already dealt with that headache when I initially set up and tested the shifting. Took me about 1 1/2 hours of troubleshooting but everything got dialed in. I'm glad I planned ahead and built it up day by day instead of all in one shot so I could focus my efforts.