Old 03-13-17, 04:23 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,039 Times in 1,877 Posts
I've never seen non-fixie's particular model catalogued or advertised in America but I have seen other samples. They came equipped with Campagnolo (Nuovo) Record, like the team bicycles of the era, which accounts for the Camapagnolo dropouts. I still maintain that it's a team replica model, possibly non-catalogued and special order, at least in North America. It may have been a standard offering in Europe but I can't comment on that. What I can say is that the livery is consistent with 1970-1975 team bicycles, with the exception of the chrome.

Variance between markets is quite common. It would sense that the chrome on boom era models was a concession to American tastes. The team bicycle didn't use it, so that would explain the pictures submitted by the OP but makes non-fixie's even more puzzling, given his location.

Since my post of 2012, I've had the opportunity to see what was reported to be an actual Fagor-Mercier team bicycle. There are some differences besides the chrome but I was surprised to find that the level of workmanship on both frames is consistent. I really was expecting a higher level of execution on the team frame but it wasn't so. It looked more like a mass production frame to me.