Old 08-21-19, 05:40 PM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by spectastic
how does winter training typically work?
That depends on your preferences, of course. I still do most of my training in the winter outside with just a little on an indoor trainer, but some friends are doing more inside now on smart trainers. During the week I try to do my weekday winter training on a lunch ride so that it is light outside and warmer than it is in early morning or evening. If I can't ride at lunch, I do evening rides mostly on a multi-use path or on roads in a local park. For the most part I don't mind riding in the rain, and I don't mind riding at night (with lights), but I avoid riding in the rain at night. Visibility is just that much worse when roads and windshields are wet. On the weekend my team has rides through the winter or I'll go on a longer ride by myself.

Most team rides and group rides continue through the winter with the help of rain jackets and fenders. There are couple 2-5 day periods during a normal winter when we get snow/ice or extreme cold and it just doesn't work to ride outside, but other than that it is not as bad as it sounds. Mostly in the 40's or 50's and drizzly rain.