Old 02-23-20, 10:54 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 491 Posts
Here's a bike that sort of fell into my lap from CL. It had been advertised as a "Record du Monde" (don't they all say that?) and I had thought of just buying it for parts. But when I looked at the decal indicating Super Competition, my eyebrow raised.

Met the guy and it turned out to be his father's bike and he had been a local racer/club organizer back in the 80's or something. The first thing I noticed was that he had switched the brakes to be right/front - not something the average Joe does - so that gave me some hope of the bike being in decent condition. However, it had been hanging for quite some time and has some rust issues on the tubes, but everything looks very serviceable - even the 23mm tires stayed pumped up when I got it home.

Looks like only the saddle was changed out to an Avocet Touring I. Thank god they spec'ed a Laprade seat post as it was the only thing with a date code: I-79. Best I can tell, based on brochures and the late 1979 date code, is that it is in fact a 1980 model PXN10E "Super Competition" - my first complete, rideable PX-10 And I guess I won't be trying to put fenders on this sexy lady...

Seller's pics, not mine:

Likes For mountaindave: