View Single Post
Old 09-17-20, 11:02 AM
BoraxKid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Outrider1
It makes it available, not affordable. The price did not change.
No, that's not how affording something works. To afford something, you must be able to purchase it. In the absence of financing, if I do not have enough cash to purchase an item, then I literally cannot afford that item; I am unable to purchase it. However, with financing, I can purchase the item; ergo, financing makes the item affordable by lowering the price I need to pay at the time of purchase. The item was always available for purchase, but my ability to purchase--literally my ability to afford it--changes based on the availability of financing.

Where Koyote is getting wrapped around the axle on this topic is in regards to financing a bicycle. I never said that anyone needs financing to buy a bike, but that didn't stop Koyote from falsely attributing those words to me. Regardless, it does not change the fact that financing, for any item, makes the item more affordable because financing lowers the barrier to entry for the purchase--it reduces the out-of-pocket expense on the day of purchase, for the minor premium of paying a small amount of interest later.