Old 03-10-19, 11:40 PM
mouse
dumb

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by StirFry
My wife's lizard skin tape is doing the same thing and she's only ridden the bike a handful of times since I built it for her a couple years ago

If you're looking for something with a similar tactile feel to it, I've been really happy with my Fabric Knurl tape, which also appears to come in pink.
Good to know. Thanks for the suggestion. I do like the feel of the lizards, but getting zero miles out of a $30 product is bull****. Gonna try out your tape when this stuff starts falling apart completely... probably relatively soon.

Originally Posted by Leukybear
Yup, that's common. The outer layer of lizardskins bartape is very susceptible to the natural oils produced by your body and found on your skin. It gets worked in as you ride. Penetrating and seeping into the tape, causing the slick/ waxy outer layer to lift from the padded backing.
Which sets it right up to be peeled off by the friction of your hands when you wield the handlebar.

Not really preventable even with post-ride wipe-downs so use it before you lose it! (Ride more!)
Also, wiping it down with alcohol in attempt to get rid of hand oil will dry out the tape causing it to get brittle!
Damn, that's a huge let down. Especially for $30+ tape. that otherwise is quite comfy. Will not be buying this again. Whats even worse is this happened as I was doing the initial wrap.. zero miles. After riding today its obviously even worse. Other than looking like crap, hasn/t really effected the feel of the tape... but I'm guessing the bare under layering won't last long. Probably old stock tape... but still. I've run tape almost a decade old that didn't have this issue. Definitely going to complain and mention to the LBS they should take the one other pack of the same tape off the shelf. Maybe they'll give it to me LOL.