Old 12-08-23, 01:58 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked 575 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by CarrollB
Since 95% of the time I ride by myself. What are others doing for their safety? By safety I mean from the criminal element that is everywhere today. I carry ...
I've got a few spots in my area that are known sketchy zones. But, anytime I ride, generally speaking I:
  • Go with others, whenever possible.
  • Don't go in such zones at "witching" hours (times known in the area where certain spots are riskiest)
  • Select the safer alternative areas, routes and times, if there is a choice
  • Don't ever, ever, go unarmed (multiply armed, ideally) -- and, by armed I mean having sufficient tools with me and being knowledgeable and capable enough to deploy in any situation necessary
That said, not even being in a small group will keep certain sorts away. And no tool is a talisman that effectively wards off evil. Plus, one needs to train regularly in order to effectively defend against determined assailants.

Of course, if anything's true it's that there are no guarantees in this life. Even in ostensibly good areas.

So. We're left with the world being what it is. You rolls the dice and takes your chances. Being as aware, trained, capable and prepared as possible, within the choices you make. About as good as it gets.
Likes For Clyde1820: