View Single Post
Old 11-08-15, 10:22 PM
buzzman
----

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
B.Carfree's contrarian commentary aside it's nice to feel included in the Overview:

<<A 60-year-old, life-long, dailycommuting bicyclist. He prefers direct routes to his destinations to save time. He is confident riding in mixed traffic and knows to be wary of opening car doors and turning trucks. He enjoys riding on shared use paths, but typically avoids them during congested periods.>>

Could not be more accurate to yours truly. My initial read of the plan is that it is inclusive and open minded and while we can't please all of the people all of the time any change in infrastructure is a series of negotiations and compromises that, hopefully, lead to a positive change. This looks like a substantial shift in the right direction. Maybe B.Carfree prefers the snail's pace that comes when armchair experts roll their eyes and oppose anything that doesn't fit their narrow vision.

In the time since I've been on BF's there have been a series of infrastructural changes here in Boston that have been grist for the BF A&S crowd.

Had Boston followed the advice of BF contrarians over past decade we'd have a significantly lower rider share, no improvements at all to bike lanes or bike paths, no bike share system and basically the status quo broken system we've had for years.

As someone who lives and rides here I'm thrilled with this proposal.

Last edited by buzzman; 11-08-15 at 10:26 PM.