View Single Post
Old 12-10-13, 07:22 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5792 Post(s)
Liked 2,582 Times in 1,432 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
I actually think we are, or maybe, going back into a small ice age, hopefully not a major one. I've actually said this in earlier posts over the years here. Now the lowest recorded temps ever recorded on Earth was done in the Antarctic, and it beat the old record of minus 128.6 F SOUNDLY, not by a degree or two but by a whopping 6.5 or so degrees! And the Antarctic ice sheet has grown to record size while Arctic ice has shrunk, so what does all this mean? No one knows for sure. But what we do know is that a record cold has gripped much of the US.
It's generally not good to draw big picture long term inferences from limited short term data. For example the jet stream is currently running almost directly North to South over the Rockies, sucking cold air down over the west and central states. Last year the jet stream spent almost the entire winter running west to east over Canada, then tanking a deep southerly dip over the east Atlantic.

So last year we had "global Warming" in the USA, while the Brits and French had an Ice Age.

Hopefully the jet stream will flatten and take all that arctic air across Canada and out to the Atlantic soon.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.