View Single Post
Old 01-05-19, 09:19 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 3,602 Times in 2,356 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghazmh
once I figure out the best arrangement Ill really take to them.
yup, I hope you enjoy the new realm of options

haven't really "needed" winter cycling gloves yet this year even in the mid to high 20s. when I did use them, I swapped mid-ride to thinner or nothing.

this night was pretty cold & after a solid hr in the 20s I was sipping my hot water & honey. but only needed my thin windstopper gloves

when I first used them this year due to a nasty raw rain day I used only glove liners.

so for those who are accustomed to cold weather riding with winter gloves, we have a quandary. gloves & no barmitts or barmitts & no gloves. & under what conditions do we use barmitts with gloves, & with what gloves. & do the barmitts make our lives easier or more complex? but there is one thing we can rely on, that no matter what New England weather throws at us, we'll be ready.

I especially appreciate them in the rain. no more soggy gloves that take a week to dry!

on a cool fall day where I can still ride in shorts the barmitts let me enjoy a long ride w no gloves

if I want to changeup my position, I just ride the tops, they still provide a wind block. if the gloves are too thick this can help keep hands a comfy temp w/o getting too warm. if they get cold just go back under cover

until it gets bad, even if I need warm windproof clothing I can still ride bare handed

there are advantages to wearing no gloves, such as easier to handle cameras, cell phone & water bottle

Last edited by rumrunn6; 01-05-19 at 09:28 AM.