View Single Post
Old 05-27-18, 01:43 PM
hexron

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Assuming a balanced diet, the next step would be a physical.

At age 60 I felt like I'd plateaued this spring but should be stronger and faster. I was working out hard and methodically, with plenty of rest, good diet, supplements, etc. But I was still the slowest of the 50+ local group. Oh, I was good for some Strava top tens on a few segments on good days, but I couldn't sustain it for any distance, especially climbs. I'd be gasping for air, wheezing like a leaky accordion. Even the guys 50 lbs overweight were blowing past me on climbs, and I'm only 5 lbs over my optimal weight. I just couldn't seem to breathe.

It took getting my shoulder broken, hit by a car a couple of weeks ago, to narrow down the likely problems.

I was scheduled for shoulder surgery last week. The anesthesiologist was very thorough and after checking me over carefully for several minutes he said "Nope, I don't like this," palpating my throat. My thyroid is so swollen it's constricted my trachea and shoved it at least an inch sideways. Not only could I not be intubated -- my trachea is constricted smaller than an infant's -- but it would be difficult to reach my trachea for an emergency cut down to get an airway if all else failed. The doctors were surprised I could ride a bike at all, let alone averaging around 16 mph on my favorite local 20-40 mile routes.

Clearly I have worse health issues than a broken shoulder, although that's been painful as hell.

And apparently this thyroid problem dates back several years. I remember a doctor telling me I had the early warning signs of Hashimoto's about 15 years ago. But I was just taking levothyroxine and not giving it much more thought. I didn't follow through on my suspicion that something was wrong. I'd have days with bursts of energy, followed by days when I could hardly get out of bed or walk to the bathroom. I just figured I needed to keep working out harder. I kept hearing the voice of my military PT instructor from 40+ years ago hollering "Pain is beautiful, bud! If it doesn't hurt, you ain't doing it right!"

So, when all else fails, see a doctor.

Looks like my delay in doing so will sideline me most of the rest of the year. I'm hoping to be cleared to ride an indoor trainer soon, since a friend is lending me a recumbent and trainer to keep pressure off the shoulder.
Whoa! That's quite the road through to a solution. Yes, I'm going to find a good doc I think.